Monday, November 30, 2009

To try or not to try, that is the question

So I have been going back and forth about this in my head all week long. Do I want to "try" this cycle? hmmm...

I am very well aware of the fact that the chances of my DH having enough sperm to impregnate me are very very slim, that is to say if there is any there at all. I know this, I know that it doesn't just take millions, but tens of millions to impregnate a woman naturally. Then of all of these tens of millions of sperm a good percentage of them have to be viable, motile, and perfectly shaped to even have a chance in hell.

Knowing all of this, and knowing that the doctor said it would take between 3-6 months to get DH's sperm count up (and knowing that through others accounts of this leads me to believe that this is optimistic). This makes me want to wait. This makes me sure that there would be no chance of it working so why put myself through the pain of an another almost certain negative hpt?

Then on the other hand... why waste a chance? No matter how small the chance? What if the doc is right and DH's sperm count comes back in 3-6 months? If it is fully back in three there must be some there at 6 weeks right? Do I really want to waste any opportunity no matter how small that opportunity is?

So I go back and forth, what to do? What to do?

Why doesn't somebody write a rule book to this stuff?


  1. Sarah, I was in the exact same place last week. I couldn't help myself and peed on an OPK and got that damn smiley face. I told DH about it and we didn't BD by my request. I couldn't let myself go there and believe the "What if". But I regretted it the next day. It's a tough call. And when you get the rule book, please forward a copy to me : )

  2. Arg I tried to find one. No such luck